Biopharma and Biotech Business Consultant
Commercial Strategy & Marketing | Insights & Analytics
Accelerating Brand Adoption | Commercial Assesment | Customer Engagement Strategy | Demand Estimation | Journey Mapping and Market Landscape | Product Launch | Segmentation and Positioning Research | Sharpening the Marketing Message
David is an experienced life sciences consultant with 25 years of success as a biopharmaceutical and biotech executive, with expertise in strategy, product development and commercialization. He has experience with both early-stage startups and established companies, as well as private and public companies. This includes bringing novel pharmaceutical products from concept to market with full – cycle experience in product planning, launch planning with execution and in – line marketing with competition. His biotech experience includes pre-clinical product development work for orphan and rare diseases. He has directly launched 7 biopharmaceutical products, including 5 vaccines, and commercially supported 3 other launches. David’s experience and success include full cross functional leadership on teams with the following functions: Research and Development, Regulatory, Legal, Market Research, Promotional Management, Manufacturing, Distribution, Sales and customer pull through, Market Access and Pricing, Medical Affairs, Patient and Customer Engagement.
David has experience effectively running a private biotech company as well as business within a biopharma company for products/portfolios ranging from $100 MM/year to $1B/year with full Profit and Loss responsibility with leaner budgets. Leadership of extended teams involved direct-report product managers and directing and influencing in a large matrix as needed, including in partnerships with other companies, such as co-development and co-promotion work. His product focus has been in the specialty and biologicals area, including vaccines, biosimilars and small molecules for lung diseases and medical counter measures. David has marketed and sold to the following physician specialties: primary care, pediatrics, geriatrics, gastroenterology, rheumatology, gynecology, and dermatology. Geographical scope of David’s work has been global with extensive work in the US and engaging country teams in middle- and high-income markets.
A key strength for David is full lifecycle management from early clinical phase to mature product. Another primary strength is developing effective marketing strategy and driving holistic execution for results in complex markets, often in partnership arrangements with limited resources. This includes direction and management of market research and insights, promotional agencies, and medical-legal approval of content in the pharma regulatory space. As well, he has finesse in navigating sophisticated commercial and alliance agreements and performance contracts to deliver value to customers, including physician clinics, integrated health systems, public health institutions, payers and group purchasing organizations. His work in this area has integrated biological buy and bill dynamics, specialty distributors, pharmacies and pharmacy benefit managers.
David’s experience and results inform a comprehensive understanding of how to achieve success in the biopharmaceutical market from concept to launch to benefit patients.
- Development of marketing plans, including strategy decks, go-to-market maps, target market definition, and customer segmentation. Development of tactical execution plans, including multichannel campaigns for HCP and patients, with direction for agency execution.
- Creation of specifications for market research, including surveys.
- Planning and creation of sales organization structures to support marketing plans and execution.
- Development of overall business/commercial plan for startups/smaller entities- across functions.
- Development of operational playbooks across organizational functions.
- Development of partnership operating agreement structures/approaches.
- Investor/partner pitch deck development.
- Refined marketing strategy and developed messages with design of market research to test.
- Segmented market and presented customer segmentation with positioning and messaging for sales force to execute.
- Developed full product value propositions with messages for various target audiences.
- Developed business/commercial plan for start up to plan resources and execute marketing strategy.
- Developed organization playbook for key functions in an established business facing new competition.
- Specified marketing needs for digital HCP and patient campaign and recruited digital agency after managing pitch process.
Related Case Studies
Brand & Marketing Planning With Marketing Assessment
Challenge: Client company had a proprietary technology related to medical devices that also serves other uses in medical care, delivered... read more
Product Launch : A Case Study on Re-launch Plan
Challenge: Client company had a clinically best in class specialty drug for women’s health that was not meeting the company’s... read more
Chief Executive Officer
Director Product Marketing
Associate Director Product Marketing
US Senior Product Manager
US Senior Customer Manager
US Senior Promotion Manager
Specialty Sales Representative
Market Research Analyst
BSE Mechanical Engineering
Master of Engineering Management
Focus on manufacturing and operations management
Focus on Marketing and General Management